Certificate and Award

Follow Us

NAS Certificate in Maritime Archaeology

An NAS Certificate requires participants to earn 100 credits from taking the ELearning Introduction to Maritime Archaeology, ELearning Underwater Archaeology and/or ELearning Intertidal & Terrestrial Archaeology courses combined with credits from attending Maritime Archaeology Courses, participating in Fieldwork and Maritime Events.

NAS Award in Maritime Archaeology

The NAS Award can be achieved after receiving the NAS Certificate in Maritime Archaeology by gaining a further 200 credits from attending Maritime Archaeology Courses, participating in Fieldwork or Maritime Events and producing an archaeological report. If you have already completed a Part II report from the old Training Program, then this will count as your report for the NAS Award.

If you’re unsure about what writing a report entails, see our ‘Report Guidance’ document here.

To submit your report please see the above guidance before completing the 'Report Submission form' and sending your report with form attached to the NAS Office.


How does the education programme work?

Take a look at this document to see how the education programme works.

If you still have questions feel free to get in touch with us at the NAS office.

The NAS Education Programme

How do I transition?

Take a look at this document to see how you transition from the old NAS Training Programme to the new NAS Education Programme. If you still have questions feel free to get in touch with us at the NAS office.

Transitioning help

What are the requirements if I am working towards my NAS Part 4: Diploma in foreshore and underwater archaeology?

You will have until 1 January 2018 to complete your Part 4 diploma. Below are the details of what you need to do to achieve the certificate on time.

  • Complete the NAS Introduction Course and Part 1, 2 and 3 Certificates in Foreshore and Underwater Archaeology.
  • Undertaken fieldwork on at least three different archaeological sites for a minimum of 12 weeks (60 days) in total after completing the Introduction Course (as evidenced by a portfolio of work and project documentation).
  • Complete a project report to publication standard.

How do I show my involvement in at least 3 different projects?
There is a section in your Training Record Card to ask a project director to sign to show you have been involved with a project. However we would also recommend keeping a fieldwork diary to show your involvement in the different projects and the skills you have learnt

Does the time have to be split evenly between the projects?
No. Time does not have to be split evenly for the 60-day requirement. You may be involved in as many projects as necessary to meet the 60 days of fieldwork required.

Do I have to write a report on each project I am involved with?
No. Only one report needs to be submitted for the diploma, however it is recommended to keep a record of each project and the work you are responsible for as evidence for your Part 4 Diploma.

What is meant by 'publication standard'?
This is the standard that would meet the initial submission requirements for a journal such as the International Journal of Nautical Archaeology (IJNA). The report does not have to go through the full editing process that would be required for the journal and does not have to go through the peer review process. However if you have met the initial requirements we would recommend continuing to see your work published. We would expect to see something which is a fairly substantial piece of research. This should be a project report typically based on one of the fieldwork projects that you have used to count towards your 60-day fieldwork requirement.

Can I submit a draft report?
Yes. We are happy to look at a draft report for you and to provide advice and guidance at any stage of the process.

Can I use a report that I have written for another purpose?
Yes. You can submit a report that you have written, for example a MA dissertation. If you wish to submit a report that you have written for an employer you should check with them first.

If you would like any further advice or guidance on completing your Part 4 Diploma, please contact the NAS Office.